Sunday, June 22, 2014

A prayer for during and after Holy Communion by St. Thomas Aquinas

The “Anima Christi”

A prayer for during and
after Holy Communion

By St. Thomas Aquinas, Doctor of the Church; d. 1274 A.D.


CLICK HERE TO LISTEN

To The TFP Choir
singing the
ANIMA CHRISTI
at a High Mass in 2008.

Anima Christi, sanctifica me.
Soul of Christ, sanctify me.

Corpus Christi, salva me.
Body of Christ, save me.

Sanguis Christi, inebria me.
Blood of Christ, inebriate me.

Aqua lateris Christi, lava me.
Water from the side of Christ, wash me.

Passio Christi, conforta me.
Passion of Christ, strengthen me.

O bone Jesu, exaudi me.
O good Jesus, hear me.

Intra tua vulnera absconde me.
Within Thy wounds hide me.

Ne permittas me separari a te.
Suffer me not to be separated from Thee.

Ab hoste malign defende me.
From the malignant enemy, defend me.

In hora mortis meae voca me,
In the hour of my death, call me.

Et jube me venire ad te,
And bid me come to Thee.

Ut cum Sanctis tuis laudem te
That with Thy saints I may praise Thee.

In saecula saeculorum.
Forever and ever.
Amen.

By St. Thomas Aquinas, Doctor of the Church; +1274 A.D.

Article: Feast of Corpus Christ in Toledo, Spain

1 comment:

  1. isn't this prayer (ascribed to) Ignatius' of Loyola?
    there is another famous set of prayers before and after h. communion which always mentions st thomas aquinas as author

    ReplyDelete