Thursday, November 25, 2010

November 26 -- St. Leonard of Port Maurice

        St. Leonard, born in 1676, was one of the greatest preachers of the Catholic Church.  He preached to thousands in the public squares of the cities of Europe. 

File:S Leonardo.JPG

      Few Catholics know that he composed the "Divine Praises" which were always said at the end of Mass.

       Nonetheless, the sermon for which he relied for the conversion of sinners was called, " The Little Number of Those Who Are Saved".  Here is an excerpt:

"Brothers, because of the love I have for you, I wish I were able to reassure you with the prospect of eternal happiness by saying to each of you: You are certain to go to paradise; the greater number of Christians is saved, so you also will be saved. But how can I give you this sweet assurance if you revolt against God's decrees as though you were your own worst enemies? I observe in God a sincere desire to save you, but I find in you a decided inclination to be damned. So what will I be doing today if I speak clearly? I will be displeasing to you. But if I do not speak, I will be displeasing to God."

       Let us ask St. Leonard for the courage to proclaim God's Truths by the example of our lives both privately and in the public square even though we may be persecuted for it.

       Let us ask Our Lady to strip us of the blindfold of false love of self and neighbor and to speak up for the glory of God and for the salvation of souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment