Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Amazing quote from Saint Peter Damian

          File:Peter Damian bust.JPG

This is quote taken from St. Peter Damian’s book on Gomorrah:

"... I would surely prefer to be thrown into the well like Joseph who informed his father of his brothers' foul crime, than to suffer the penalty of God's fury, like Eli, who saw the wickedness of his sons and remained silent. (Sam 2:4) ... Who am I, when I see this pestilential practice flourishing in the priesthood to become the murderer of another's soul by daring to repress my criticism in expectation of the reckoning of God's judgment? ...

“How, indeed, am I to love my neighbor as myself if I negligently allow the wound, of which I am sure he will brutally die, to fester in his heart? ...[48] "So let no man condemn me as I argue against this deadly vice, for I seek not to dishonor, but rather to promote the advantage of my brother's well-being. "Take care not to appear partial to the delinquent while you persecute him who sets him straight. If I may be pardoned in using Moses' words, 'Whoever is for the Lord, let him stand with me.' (Ezek 32:26)" [49]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The picture is from Srnec at en.wikipedia

Permission to use this photo is granted under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Generic license.

No comments:

Post a Comment