1. Devotion to the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus is an act of love. And with love of Jesus comes the desire to console Him by atoning for all the continuing injuries he suffers from the sins of mankind. It is to respond to that which is referred to commonly as Our Lord’s "great apparition" to St. Mary Margaret Alacoque which occurred during the octave of Corpus Christi, 1675, probably on 16 June. Afflicted, Our Lord said, "Behold the Heart that has so loved men . . . instead of gratitude I receive from the greater part (of mankind) only ingratitude . . ."
2. In his message at Fatima, the Angel of Portugal taught the three little shepherds to ask forgiveness for sinners and to offer sacrifices for them. He also mentioned the NEED to offer reparation to Our Lord in the Most Blessed Sacrament for the injuries He receives there both from the profanation of the Host and Its unworthy reception. We can unite this act of reparation to that of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus as both is directed to the Person of the Our Lord Jesus Christ.
3. Blasphemy – is a sin against the virtue of religion by which we render to God the honor due to Him as our first beginning and last end. Through the years many affronts and insults reared their ugly heads in mockery and disdain of Our Lord, Our Lady and the Catholic faith especially through TV, film, literature and the arts. And these blasphemous assaults continue to this day.
4. Contraception and abortion - Contraception has been accepted by our highly sexualized society as a way of life in order to shirk the duties of parenthood and as a means to purportedly control people’s bodies. When it fails, it creates unwanted pregnancies and the disastrous abortion mentality that led to the slaughter of millions of innocent lives. They are both fruits of the same tree of aversion towards traditional Christian morality.
5. Divorce – “Many marriages are not good; they do not please Our Lord, and they are not of God.” Blessed Jacinta
The lack of understanding of the meaning and purpose of the sacrament of marriage as an intimate, exclusive, indissoluble union between man and woman designed by God, ordered towards the procreation and education of children creates a false notion that reduces it to a mere contract that people can void as they please. As a result, many families break down taking its toll on both spouses and their children.
6. Homosexuality/same-sex marriage – The homosexual agenda
and lifestyle finds ample support from liberal media, activists and politicians by promoting them under the dubious guise of human rights. In an atmosphere of moral decay and widespread confusion about the true nature of marriage, homosexual advocates push for the legal “right” to marry of two persons of the same sex which is contrary to natural law.
7. Embryonic stem cell, cloning and questionable biotechnology – “Doctors do not have the light to cure the sick properly because they do not have love of God.” Blessed Jacinta.
It is unfortunate that some scientists tinker with God’s creation with indifference or wanton disregard of the grave moral implications of their research work. It creates a mentality that scientific progress and eugenics will cure all earthly ills and rid man of his imperfections while turning a blind eye towards the effects of Original Sin.
8. Pornography– “the sin that lead more souls to hell are the sins of the flesh.” Blessed Jacinta
The sexual revolution foisted on people greater freedom and joy in their sex lives; the fruits of which manifested in unprecedented levels of sexually transmitted diseases, the acceptance and spread of pornography, more antagonism between the sexes, and catastrophic high divorce and illegitimacy rates.
9. Dissident clergy/religious- “Priests should only occupy themselves with the affairs of the Church. Priests should be pure, very pure. The disobedience of priests and religious to their superiors and to the Holy Father greatly offends Our Lord.” Blessed Jacinta
There is ample material on Catholic clergy and religious that promote teachings contrary to the Church’s Magisterium and discipline, be it liberation theology, homosexuality, abortion, contraception, priestly celibacy, etc. Sadly, we must also mention the pedophilia cases that stained the holy vocation of the priesthood.
10. Indecent Fashions – “Fashions that will greatly offend Our Lord will appear. People who serve God should not follow fashions. The Church has no fashions. Our Lord is always the same.”
Modesty in dress leaves much to be desired in our days. Outlandish designs, skimpy outfits, loud and strong colors that assault one’s eyes all contribute to the breakdown of good taste. Lamentably, they can lead to occasions of sin.