Today, defeated Congressman Patrick Murphy (D-PA) is seeking to ram through a bill that will overturn the military’s ban on gays serving openly in the military.
Murphy’s last gasp as a legislator, since being thrown out of office by his constituents in November, is an effort that will undermine our military and bring about untold chaos within the Armed Forces.
A freestanding bill will also be pushed shortly in the Senate by Senators Joseph Lieberman (I-CT) and RINO Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME).
Murphy, Lieberman, Collins and their homosexual/transgender allies know that they only have a few more days to ram this through before the Congress of the Defeated is sent packing. They believe they can use the recently released Pentagon report on “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” to get it passed. The Pentagon report, however, contains statistics that undermine this belief. The report shows that:
• 60% of the respondents in the Marine Corps and Army combat units believe there will be a negative impact on their unit’s effectiveness in combat; among Marine combat arms the number was 67%.
• 13% said they would leave the military earlier than planned if the 1993 law is repealed; 11% said they would consider leaving sooner than planned. This is 24% of the Armed Forces – which translates into more than 250,000 troops. This would destroy our all-volunteer force!
• The writers of the report recommend that the military enact a “zero tolerance” policy against criticism of homosexual conduct if the repeal is passed. Soldiers, Sailors and Marines will be forced into sensitivity training classes to change their attitudes about homosexual conduct. If members of the military continue to openly object to homosexuality, they will be separated from the service.
• When faced with having to shower with a homosexual person, 26% of those surveyed said they would shower at a different time; 19% said they would seek counsel from a chaplain, mentor or leader about the situation. A quarter of our military personnel would feel uncomfortable showering with someone with a same-sex attraction! Why impose such burdens on our service personnel?
• The report recommends that homosexual sex acts, which are criminal under the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ), should be legalized.
• The report recommends that there be no segregation of troops based on sexual orientation.
The rush to pass this legislation during the lame duck session is simply a payoff by Democrats to one of their core constituents: LGBT activist organizations.
President Obama promised his LGBT allies that he would push for repeal of the 1993 – and that’s what is happening. This political payoff is a slap in the face of the fine men and women who risk their lives for this nation.
Nowhere in the entire Pentagon report is there any statement as to how this repeal will improve military readiness, cohesion or morale. In fact, that wasn’t even a concern. Obama directed Secretary of Defense Robert Gates to conduct a survey that was only designed to determine how the repeal could be implemented – and what steps need to be taken to “mitigate” problems.
Such a serious change in our military – during two wars – should not be rushed through just before recess – during a lame duck session! Thorough and honest hearings should be held to air all aspects of this controversial legislation.
TAKE ACTION: Contact your two U.S. Senators and your Representatives today and strongly urge them to vote against repeal of the 1993 law banning homosexuals from openly serving in our military.
Traditional Values Coalition